WHAT DID I DO
For this project, I used typefaces to create a logotype that integrates the initials of my first and last names (two letters) into a unified whole.
I experimented with balance, movement, symmetry/asymmetry, interesting positive/negative space relationships, and other principles of design.
HAND DRAWN MOCKUPS
To create these mockups, I used a black felt-tip its due to its professional finish. To determine placement, I chose the most aesthetically appealing version. It was challenging ensuring that the reader reads the "J" before the "K". I chose fonts that were clear and bold. This makes the logo memorable and striking from a distance.
ANALYSIS OF LETTERS & PLACEMENT
At this stage of production, I converted my drawing into digital form using Adobe Illustrator. I experimented with designs and created a white line within the "K" to emphasize how it is positioned behind the "J".
In terms of playing around with the letters, this logo has unique placement as the “J” is slanted and serves as the upper leg to the k. This creates a sense of playfulness and uniqueness to fit the bubble aesthetic. I chose these bring and vivid colors as I found them catchy to the eye and also representative of myself since this logo is designed around my initials. A difficulty I faced was deciding how to convey that the letter “J” came before the “K” which was crucial to this project.
EXPERIMENTING WITH DESIGN
EXPLANATION OF MY LOGO DESIGN
I chose logotype 1 as my final concept as I feel like the colors, design and aesthetic of the bubbly pattern is visually appealing and most representative of myself. The j has a pattern which draws audiences’ attention to it first, establishing that it is read like “j k” instead of “k j”. This is also emphasized by the fact that the j overlaps the k.